Monday, 7 September 2009

Here I am, Here I am, Here I am, I'm stuck at the Crossroads again, Oh Let Me Stand, Let Me Stand, Let Me Stand, On top of the Mountain again.

There comes a time in everyones life where past dreams and desires change or wane. I would say most people experience this, and it's nothing to be afraid, or ashamed of. The issue comes when you begin to prevent new dreams taking over. If you don't have a dream, how do you motivate yourself to get up in the morning.

Just recently I've been thinking about my dreams, and what I want to do with my life. I can accept that the career I have in Local Government IT is not what I wanted when I was 15, or 19. Is that bad...?? No. I like my job. I work with a truly awesome group of people, and have got some really good friends from this. Of course sometimes the work is stressful, and the demands are

I've also identified that this isn't what I'd want to do forever, but wouldn't be upset if I did. My Ideal?? Own a record shop. I love music. I love the impact that music has on people and the way it makes them feel. and I'd like to be one of the people that helps bring that to them.

I know it's not likely, as these days, digital rules. People don't need to go and buy an LP or CD when they can download the songs from iTunes, but I wish they still did. I wish it was easy for me to do this. I love that nervous energy when you have a new CD, or LP and have to wait to here it. I also love the feeling when something that I recommend to someone is picked up on and embraced.

Ok, so owning a Record Shop might be a tricky prospect nowadays, so although I'll keep that dream, it's ok for me to shelve it, and look at it occasionally. But there are other dreams that are more achievable.
I'd like to live and work abroad for a while, specifically somewhere like Canada, or Hawaii, where life really is a bit different. One of Kirsty's close friends moved to the Northen Territories in Canada and hasn't looked back, and I'll like to have that level of adventure for a while, being somewhere alien and remote, and not like southern England.

I'd also like to be able to play a musical instrument, specifically the Harmonica, at a decent level. Now I'm not expecting to be Blues Traveler's John Popper, but to be able to knock up a decent blues harmony.

I've blogged before about writing, and how I'm working on a book typw thing. Well, I'm not doing very well. I'm thinking of writing a couple of short stories instead as this might help with developing my own writing style. Also, I'm hoping to write some reviews following on from the last blog, not just about music but about other things too.

Just remember, dreams are no bad thing, and if you think it's slipping away, it's ok to change that dream!

No comments: